Varmints beware. Sniper on the roof!
Just kidding. I don't have it in me to pull a trigger on a poor squirrel or anything. I'm even against euthanization of dogs, cats and such. Go figure.
I've planned my gun acquisition well with a shotgun coming right after the handgun and then a rifle as a third gun. However, the order had to be switched due to an import problem.
Walther G22 with integrated laser and mounted red dot sight

Although it was love at first sight, purchase decision could not be made on the spot. It had everything going for it: reputable brand, space-age look, integrated laser, M-16 sights and picatinny rail on the carrying handle. The only thing holding me back was the bullpup design of this baby. I really had to warm up to it for some reasons. My main concerns were maintenance and proximity of the ejection port to the shooter's face. So it was time for research, research and more research. Eventually, the decision was made and I have no regrets.
Way too tactical looking for a plinker. Good.

Handling is great. The gun is of a good weight. It is neither too light or heavy. And the pretty grip fits my hand like a glove. You just have to watch where your left hand goes. The bullpup design brings the 20" barrel farther back than conventional rifles, making Walther G22 a more compact firearm supposedly without compromising accuracy.
I spent a brick of ammo sighting the laser, the red dot sight and the riflescope. The results? Impressive...for a mediocre shooter that I am, of course. Shot from a benchrest position with the aid of a 3-9X riflescope. Range was about 20 meters.

The groups weren't tight enough. I would blame it on the long, plasticky trigger pull. Never mind that. With practice shot group tightness should improve.
Same set up as above. I couldn't be happier.

Shooting with iron sights was fun, too, but I'm still all excited by the optics experience at the moment. And at the end of my first day out with Walther G22, I wished Walther came out with a 9 mm variant of this gun. Walther G99, perhaps? Ahh... wishful thinking.
Current gun acquisition roadmap. Two secured. Three to go.

I've decided to do without Beretta 90-Two and Para Hawg 9 for the time being because they are going to be redundant with Sig Sauer P226 and Glock 26. Maybe one day when money is not the object.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home