The more the merrier
Can you imagine what kind of person would buy a gun, with the intent to use not speculate, but never fires a single round with it? The busy kind, I guess.

I’m talking about myself and my brand new Glock 19 Olive Drab Green in the photograph above. Call it impulse. Call it weakness. The gun was sitting inside the window, like a puppy begging to be taken home. And I knew if I didn’t buy it then and there I would have to be on a waiting list for another year or so.
At the time of purchase I had the choices of either this or Glock 26 in the same OD Green finish. I tried handling both for like half an hour before decided on the nineteen. The twenty-six’s grip just left my little finger dangling in the air. Besides, I reasoned that the extra barrel length and magazine capacity would come in handy. The sad truth is that the gun is going to stay home since we are not allowed to carry firearms here in this “democratic” country anyway. Don’t ask why I went for the OD green and not the regular black. I just don’t know. Maybe I wanted to have something different from the guy next lane. Maybe I wanted to spice up my collection a little. It doesn’t really matter, right?
Unfortunately, I’ve been so busy I couldn’t find the time to go put some rounds through it. It took me eight months to post this update on my blog. That’s pathetic.
The Walther P22, however, was added to my mini arsenal about a month earlier. That was before things got all messed up and I couldn’t find the time for my biweekly visit to the range.

The gun fits my palm well despite its small size, thanks to the curvature of the grip. The magazine holds ten .22lr rounds which is just about right. And with the ammunition being relatively cheap, I found myself emptying whole magazines on paper targets in seconds without hesitation. No failure to eject or failure to feed was experienced after several bricks of CCI Standard Velocity and Armscor Precision. However, the slide did fail to lock open after the last round was spent on a few occasions. I’m not sure what the cause of this problem is but I guess low power ammunition is to blame. I haven’t tried my Walther P22 with Remington High Velocity I have because it’s a pain to clean afterwards. Maybe it’s time to try the CCI Stinger I saved for actual home defense and see if it makes any difference.
Leaving that aside, you’ve got to take my word for it: this is an amazing plinker by any standard. It is fairly accurate, comes with changeable front sights and an adjustable rear sight, and, decocks with the help of the manual safety lever. I also think it is going to be a perfect choice of gun with which to introduce someone to practical shooting. The gun is lightweight and the recoil is not intimidating at all. It’s the perfect recipe of fun for the whole family. Just remember not to point it towards something you do not intend to shoot and yada yada yada.
Now my gun acquisition plan is completed. All I have to do next is find the time to actually go to the range.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home